Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Don't Pull a Judge Smails

So I thought if I talk about golf in my blog what good is it if I don't bring up a classic and one the the best golf movies that has come out. If you didn't get the movie by my title then you should probably watch it. The one of the best golf movies of all time has to be the movie CaddyShack. This movie tells the tales of what happens in the private golf club scene. The country club that it all takes place at is Bushwood Country Club. The big stars that many people know of are Chevy Chase as Ty Webb, Bill Murray as Carl the assistant greens keeper, and Ted Knight as Judge Smails.

Source: http://bit.ly/MgUtQk
This weeks topic that refers to Judge Smails is trying to keep your composure on the course. Many of us have had our great holes where we feel great afterwards and then we have those not so great holes where in fact we want to be done with golf or even have the need to pull the Judge Smails move. See picture on the right. Judge Smails gets very angry at one of the visitors at Bushwood and ends up throwing the club towards the club house.

To prevent this from happening writers have written several books on controlling your emotions on the course. But I think my advice is easier to adapt to and costly nothing to you.

I know from this past weekend when I went up north to golf with my buddies I had several back to back holes where I was getting very frustrated at myself. I knew that I had to calm down if I stood any chance of improving my game. So after we finished the hole I took a break to just calm down and get my nerves in sync. Before I went to tee off on the next hole I just paused and took some breaths. Then I made my way to the tee box and then just swung the golf club back and forth till I could feel my body relaxing.

Source: http://bit.ly/K2S1IS
It was only till I felt completely calm and relaxed when I approached my golf ball and made my tee shot. This has worked for me in the past many times and I hope this helps your nerves calm down on the course so then instead of pulling a Judge Smails you can be the visitor from Caddyshack and just dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment