Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Top Michigan Courses

So this week I'm going to talk about the top courses that are in Michigan and ones that I have personally encountered. If you google a list for the top golf courses in Michigan many links come up. From the first clicked link of Michigan Golf Magazine it lists the top ten public courses in the first page. According to this magazine the top ten public courses in Michigan are:

Arcadia Bluffs
Source: http://bit.ly/JjLhZ8
  1. Arcadia Bluffs, Arcadia. 
  2. Forest Dunes, Roscommon.
  3. Timberstone, Iron Mountain.
  4. Eagle Eye, Bath.
  5. Greywalls, Marquette.
  6. Black Lake, Onaway.
  7. Tullymore-St. Ives Resort, Stanwood.
  8. Tribute-Ostego Club, Gaylord.
  9. Bay Harbor-Boyne Resorts, Bay Harbor.
  10. Pilgrim's Run, Pierson.
Now most people have never heard of these courses or even played them. Some people may want to play these courses but do not have the disposable income to play them. Within the top ten green fees, "The amount you pay to play 18 holes," the fee ranges from $65.00 to $189.00. To me that is a lot of money to pay just for a few hours of misery or fun. I know me personally if I have a bad round I'll be very frustrated in the fact that I paid all that money just for misery.

Out of the top ten courses from Michigan Golf Magazine, I have played only 3 of them. I have played Arcadia Bluffs, Tribute, and Forest Dunes. Out of these three courses I do have to agree on the fact that Arcadia is an amazing course to play. My friends and I usually golf there during the off season so the price is cheaper than if we went during the summer.

One course that I recently played did not make the list because it is a private golf club. This course is called Birchwood Golf and Country Club. It is located up in Harbor Springs and I played it with a couple of my buddies. I have to say that this course was an awesome course with amazing views. This course had 21 holes which were broken up into 3 separate 9 hole courses. They were named the woods, the birches, and the farms. We went to tee off of the first hole on the courses Woods course and the view was remarkable. The tee box was elevated above the fairway and you could see over the trees and view of Lake Michigan.

Throughout the woods course my buddies and I spent several minutes just looking at the beautiful views that the course had to offer. Also we knew we were on a great course because between hole 5 and hole 6 there was a sign saying that the next hole is 1.1 miles away. We were just in shock of that sign, but the drive was worth it since we drove through the forest.

4 comments:

  1. It is interesting to see what the top courses are in Michigan. I've never played any of these top courses but I am hoping that sometime this summer I can try them out. I have been golfing for 15 years and I still need help in my game. What are your thoughts on the top course Arcadia and was it what you expecting it to be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Peter, I have to say that Arcadia was all that I was expecting plus more. The course is amazing. The fairways were narrow and very well kept and the greens were fast paced. Just a beautiful course that I will probably play again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Matt,

    Of the courses on this list, I have played 9 holes at Tullymore and just recently played Bay Harbor. What I remember of Tullymore is that it was superbly maintained and very difficult. Bay Harbor was incredible...so many views that are unlike anything else I've ever seen on a golf course. I highly recommend doing a stay and play package at Boyne...best way to play Bay Haybor on a budget (as well as the rest of the Boyne courses, all of which are quite nice).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Andy I like the courses up north because most of them are very well up kept. I am actually having a golf weekend this coming weekend end and i'll be playing a couple courses just south of Traverse City. Should be a good weekend of golf.

      Delete